“Fashion fades. Style is eternal.”–YSL
While personal style is unique, there are certain types of style that are universal. Something I see all of the time when working with both my VIP and Style Yourself Chic clients on defining their personal style is their love for style icons like Grace Kelly, Jackie O., Audrey Hepburn, and Kate Middleton. My clients adore their effortlessly chic and feminine approach to creating a pulled together look. These style icons are timeless and they are known for their classic style.
However, I get asked all the time whether it’s by clients or at speaking engagements is how to tell the difference between being “Classic and Current” (where you emulate your style icons) AND “Classic and Frumpy” (where you end up feeling dated in your wardrobe.) Because NO ONE wants to feel the latter!
Never fear, I’m here to share my top 5 tips sure to keep your classic style looking current:
1. Select classic items in modern silhouettes. Just because an item is classic doesn’t mean it doesn’t have to be replaced and updated from time to time. There are staple items that every wardrobe should have like a great white button-down or a fabulous trench coat. Make sure when you are selecting these items to buy items with good drape and great fabric.
For summer, try this white button-down by J.McLaughlin in a breathable fabric that will keep you cool in the heat.
Styling your favorite button-down in current ways is a great way to complete your look!
2. Enjoy the trends through accessories only. A fabulous way to keep your classic style feeling current and fresh is through your accessories. If your personal style has a more classic feel make sure your wardrobe still reflects the trends in little ways. This season you might want to try a Panama hat, rope belt, mirrored sunglasses, and pops of metallic accessories, like a skinny belt. These are all easy ways to add a touch of the season to your favorite classic looks!
3. Keep your body type in mind and select classic pieces that flatter your figure. Knowing and dressing for your body type is one of the most important things outside of having a well defined personal style. Why? Even if you know what you love wearing the wrong thing for your figure can ruin an amazing outfit and leave you feeling less than your best! I mentioned it already, but buying items with great drape is very important. Also, and this is true for everyone, make sure the items you pick aren’t boxy in shape, thus extenuating parts of your figure that will make you look larger than you are.
I adore this mixture of pattern and texture from J.McLaughlin. Tucking in the shirt suits her body type perfect as it both accents her waist and it gives the illusion of an hourglass shape!
A boatneck cut top is a great way to balance out your figure especially if you have a triangle, hourglass, or rectangle silhouette.
4. Select classic patterns only. And for a more modern look try pattern mixing! Allow one pattern to be the focal point to keep from looking too busy or overdone. Also, did you know that patterns have a life span? Patterns that are not classic have a life span of 1–3 years. So, if you are not careful with your pattern selection, they can quickly make you or your wardrobe look dated. Here are a couple of classic patterns that are worth the splurge since they won’t go out of style: stripes, gingham, polka-dots, and paisley. Also, make sure to select patterns based on your height. If you are petite select smaller patterns, if taller select larger patterns.
This is a fun mix of a classic print like a stripe being paired perfectly with a more current print. Notice that the hat, rope bracelet, and skinny belt add fabulous personal touches while keeping the look on trend!
This pattern mixing is a nice blend between two current patterns that do a great job of complimenting each other. If Panama hats aren’t your style try a wider brim hat like this one! Love the shirt and the shorts? Find them here.
5. Showcase your assets while being age appropriate. While I am a firm believer in that we should all love and embrace our bodies, realistically there are aspects of our figure that we’re more fond of than others. Dressing for your body type is as important as showing off what you love in an age appropriate way. Got great legs? Show them off while wearing a more covered up top. Love your arms? Flaunt them in a sleeveless top or a great maxi dress.
This skirt is great for showing off your legs, and its shorter hemline is balanced with the 3/4 length sleeve tee. I love the pattern and texture mixing of the stripe shirt with the floral skirt, as it adds another element of interest to the classic look. Find this skirt or your new favorite pair of shorts by clicking here.
Shop all of these looks on J. McLaughlin now! Take advantage of J.McLaughlin’s Memorial Day sale on their site, offering shoppers $100 off their purchase of $300 or more. AND if you use the code JMCLFemme, you’ll receive an additional 10% off! Valid May 20 — 24.
All images courtesy of J.McLaughlin.